Monday, February 22, 2010

Miracles on the Frozen Pond

Today is the 30th anniversary of the Miracle on Ice. On this day in 1980, in Lake Placid, NY at the Winter Olympics, the US Men's Hockey Team defeated the heavily favored Soviets. Comprised only of amateur and collegiate players (no NHL dynamos), they went on to win the Gold Medal.

I was only 3 at the time, so I don't remember it. But those I have talked to who do, even if they weren't hockey fans, remember it in all its excitement. It was a proud moment for our country, and I can't even imagine how great it felt for the skaters.

I own this book (though I'm embarrassed to say, I have not finished it).




My 17 month old son grabbed it yesterday off of the book shelf, raised his hands in the air, and yelled, "GOOOOALLLLLL!" I should also mention that that is his reaction to anything hockey.

He also did this when he saw a picture of my niece celebrating her own win the other day. This picture makes me proud. As it does her parents, I'm sure.



Another pic of Matt and I when we had *2* hockey teams, we were the Maroons. This was during the days when Matt still let Becca and Julie die his hair blond from time to time.

I love the game of hockey.

I love that I am the captain of a team that loses more often than wins, but is laughing the entire way.

I love that it is something I can share with my husband, my family, my nieces, nephews, sisters, brothers, and someday my children.

I love that it is a cold winter sport, because hot outside stuff is yuck. So even in summer, going to play on ice is always refreshing. Ok, sometimes stinky.

I love that I have made some lifelong friends playing hockey. People that are now a part of our lives that I would never give up.

There are things in my life that obviously come before hockey; God and my family take top billing of course. But it is a wonderful way to spend time with the ones I love. To watch it in the Olympics is very exciting.

So today, here's to Herb Brooks and the 1980 Gold Medal winning US Ice Hockey Team. We are all very proud.

2 comments:

  1. Hee hee. I totally forgot we did that to his hair. I just remember cutting it a lot.

    My brief hockey days with you guys were so fun. I just didnt like it the time you broke your leg! OWWW!!! Those x-rays were brutal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post almost made me cry! (I must be having one of those days...) I am such a sucker for the underdog. I remember this Olympics, I was in high school. It was so thrilling to us as a country.

    I also liked how you shared why ice hockey is important to you... a real window into what makes you who you are.

    ReplyDelete